January 3, 2012 / Green America

20 Plastic Things You Didn’t Know You Can Recycle

1) Bottle and jar caps: Weisenbach Recycled Products accepts clean plastic bottlecaps, plastic jar caps, flip-top caps from personal care products, and flexible snap-on lids (e.g. butter tub lids) to turn into funnels and other items. CapsCando.com.

2) Brita pitcher filters: Preserve’s Gimme 5 program accepts Brita-brand pitcher filters for recycling. See #11 below.

3) Compostable bioplastics: Find a municipal composter at FindaComposter.com.

4) Computers and other electronics: Find the most responsible recyclers near you at e-stewards.org/find-a-recycler. Your local Best Buy store will also accept many types of electronics, large and small—from televisions and gaming systems to fans and alarm clocks. Best Buy partners with responsible recyclers that do not ship items overseas, including Green Business Network™ member Electronic Recyclers International. You can bring three small items per day to Best Buy for free. The company charges a fee to recycle large electronics. BestBuy.com/recycling.

5) Eyeglasses: Your local Lions Club collects them for people in need.

6) Fishing line: Mail to Berkley Recycling, which turns it into fish habitat structures: 1900 18th Street; Spirit Lake, IA 51360.

7) Gift cards and customer loyalty cards: Fill out the form at www.earthworks system.com/Consumers/ to recycle them. (Accepts conventional cards only, not bioplastic/ compostable cards.)

8) Ink Cartridges: RecyclePlace.com pays $1 each and will recycle them. (Also see
#12, “Technotrash.”)

9) Pantyhose/tights: No Nonsense collects all brands of hose, tights, and kneehighs to be recycled into other products. NoNonsense.com/PantyhoseRecycling.aspx.

10) Plastic packaging: Many pack-and-ship stores will take packing peanuts and bubble wrap. For drop-off locations for foam blocks, contact the Alliance of Foam Packaging Recyclers.

11) Polypropylene (#5) plastics (all types): Preserve’s Gimme 5 program accepts all types of clean #5 plastics, which are turned into Preserve personal care and kitchen products. Drop them off in the “Gimme 5” container available at select Whole Foods and food co-ops. Visit preserveproducts.com/recycling to find a location or learn how to mail them in.

12) “Technotrash”: Organizations and schools can earn money for recycling ink cartridges and small electronics like cell phones and iPods through ProjectKOPEG.com. Recycle a large box of CDs, DVDs, jewel cases, audio and video tapes, small electronics, and ink cartridges for $30 (includes postage) through Green Disk, 800/305-GREENDISK, GreenDisk.com.

13) Telephones: Call to Protect (donateaphone.com/calltoprotect) refurbishes cell phones for domestic violence victims (see also “Technotrash,” above). Take corded and cordless phones to a local Best Buy for recycling.

14) Sports equipment: Resell or trade it at your local Play It Again Sports outlet, 800/476-9249, www.playitagainsports.com.

15) Tennis balls: reBounces restores old tennis balls that have lost their bounce.
ReBounces.com/recycle.

16) Tennis shoes: NikeReuseAShoe.com turns them into athletic flooring. Souls4Souls.org and OneWorldRunning.com sends still-wearable shoes to runners in need in developing countries.

17) Toys: Domestic Metals and Plastics accepts plastic toys of all types for recycling. Dmpgreen.com.

18) Trophies: Lamb Awards will break your trophies down and remake them into
new ones. E-mail internet at lambawards dot com, and put “recycling” in the subject line.

19) Tyvek envelopes: Quantities less than 25: Send to Tyvek Recycle, Attn. Shirley B. Wright, 8401 Fort Darling Road, Richmond, VA 23237. More than 25: call 866/33-TYVEK.

20) Yoga mats: RecycleYourMat.com accepts yoga mats for recycling.

This article first appeared in the Green American in our Nov/Dec “Plastics Challenge” issue.  For more tips and resources greening your life, subscribe to the Green American.
Our Jan/Feb issue about finding a better bank is headed to the printer right now.   >>

1. cannon f (@rebounces) / Jan 3 2012 3:32 pm

Thanks for the quick note about @rebounces recycling program… if you are in SoCal -> sign-up for the BNP Paribas Open recycling competition

2. Tips For Recycling / Jan 3 2012 8:10 pm

Thanks for this information. These are definitely some items that many of us aren’t aware that we can recycle.

A note on the Nike ReuseAShoe program…many local communities partner with Nike on this one…my own being one of them….so check for local sources. GreenDisk also partners with locals.

3. computer recycling louisville ky / Jan 27 2012 11:18 am

Thanks for this information. I didn’t know that lot’s of these items can be recycled.

4. Michael@canopies / Feb 7 2012 7:06 pm

Thanks for the great information. I try to recycle as much as possible but some of these I hadn’t thought about. I will make more of an effort now.

5. plastic moulding / Feb 21 2012 2:07 pm

I didn’t know Best Buy actually recycles every electronics. Thanks for writing on it, i will visit soon to recycle my DVD player. Any idea either they charge according to weight or quantity?

6. The Beehive Mutter / Feb 23 2012 12:28 pm

Reblogged this on thebeehivemutter.

7. Eco Friendly Mike / Feb 29 2012 2:10 am

Nice list of things I wouldn’t have thought could be recycled. I never would have thought of restoring my tennis balls that have lost their bounce.
    #12 Technotrash sounds like it would be a good idea for organizations like the boy scouts or girl scouts to raise money. I’d gladly donate some ink cartridges or small electronics to the girl scouts instead of buying their cookies that I usually give away. They’d probably make more money.

8. Deb / Oct 6 2012 11:15 pm

Wow! What a list. I did not know you could recycle all of these things.

9. C K Polymers / Dec 17 2012 6:37 am

C K Polymers finds this article, and the points of view in this article very interesting., great post

10. Eco Friendly Products / Mar 17 2013 11:54 pm

pantyhose?? Wow..that just seems sooo weird, but i guess it’s a tough little material! Cool, learned a new one here!

11. CSSF / May 15 2013 9:45 am

Reblogged this on FSJPIC.

12. Cara / Jun 6 2013 3:17 pm

The second hosting provider appeared much better, but its technical knowledge still left a
    lot to be desired. Second, it is a sign that they are not able to get credit card processing for their own site.
    You cannot risk hosting your crucial business website on such a free hosting plan.

13. zed purlins / May 9 2014 7:03 am

I will pass your suggestion along. I know we are working on a solution in a future upgrade. In the meantime, I find the best way is to select the text and then choose print selected from the print menu. Or share the link via email!

14. Corporate IT recycling / May 9 2014 7:20 am

Very informative. Thanks for sharing

15. segmation / May 19 2014 10:24 am

Nice points made! Thank you for sharing. http://www.segmation.com

16. Christopher / May 26 2014 2:53 am

Everyone loves it when people come together and share views.

Great website, continue the good work!

17. global eco village green home making / Aug 16 2014 4:54 pm

I seldom drop comments, however i did a few searching
    and wound up here 20 Plastic Things You Didnt Know You Can Recycle |.
    And I actually do have 2 questions for you if it’s
    allright. Could it be simply me or does it look
    like some of the comments come across like coming from brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are posting at additional places, I’d like to follow
    anything fresh you have to post. Would you make a
    list of the complete urls of your community pages
    like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

18. comprar nexus 4 / Aug 16 2014 10:12 pm

I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you design this website
    yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?
    Plz reply as I’m looking to design my own blog and would
    like to find out where u got this from. thanks a lot

19. viber para android / Aug 21 2014 10:21 pm

Awesome! Its really awesome article, I have got much clear idea regarding from this
    piece of writing.

20. google seo / Aug 22 2014 8:10 am

Howdy! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if you knew where
    I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours
    and I’m having difficulty finding one? Thanks a lot!

21. move to hawaii oahu / Aug 26 2014 12:05 am

Thanks for some other fantastic article. Where
    else could anyone get that type of information in such an ideal way of writing?
    I’ve a presentation subsequent week, and I am at the search for such information.

Trackbacks

1. Green Moving « What's Green with Betsy?!?
  2. Plastic Things You Can Recycle | Green Living Makeover